DIY: mink coat





I found this hand-made mink coat at an estate sale a week ago at a killer bargain price. The fur was so soft and smooth that I knew that I had to have it.  I wanted to make the purchase practical by wearing the coat often because I didn't just want it hanging in my closet collecting dust. Therefore, I turned the slightly vintage looking coat into a D.I.Y project.  To start, it was dress length and I didn't quite know if I wanted to keep it like that,  I wanted it have a modern feel. The arms were a little too wide and too long for my taste so I knew I needed to modify them as well as the hem. I started doing research on the freshest furs out right now and found a few images of styles that might work, but not until I found an image of the coat below did i start cutting away. I thought it was the perfect solution to my dilemma, it modernized the coat without taking too much away from the original beauty of it, the roundness of the new shaped hem convey the idea of an coat with a few tails. I thought it was beautiful and I was truly happy with the design. Now I had to start sewing; which was fun because i had to do everything by hand, something I hadn't done in a long while.