DIY: Tibor Kalman inspired watch






My boyfriend showed me these watches that Tibor Kalman designed back in the 80s. I instantly fell in love with them & of course, wanted to design my own watchface. Who is Tibor Kalman?  Only one of the most influential American graphic designers of his time according to my bf. In 1979 Kalman and two of his friends started the design firm M&Co, which these watches are branded with.  Kalman also worked as creative director of Interview magazine in the early 1990s.

My design uses isotype symbols and is completely functional. Some of the symbols are isotype inspired, I designed two of them myself; the sewing machine and the sleeper were both created using illustrator. My purpose was to design a watch that lets me know what I usually do at certain times during the day. Much like a schedule - sleep, eat: lunch & dinner, sew, watch TV, work on the computer etc. Seven is the only number on the watch because, one: it is my lucky number and two: I don't seem to have things scheduled for seven o'clock.